Geographic Information Analyst
Closing Date: Open until filled.
Work Hours: Shifts may vary based on business need.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Department: Public Works/Engineering
POSITION SUMMARY: The work in this position involves the performance of moderate to complex geographic information system (GIS) analytical and geoprocessing functions, including: input, editing, manipulation, and analysis of data. It also involves creating and maintaining spatial/tabular data sets and developing interactive mapping websites. Technical experience is used in the areas of: developing interactive webmaps with custom scripting and programming; geoprocessing, model building and automation; manipulation of LiDAR and 3D feature data; spatial data conversion; field data collection applications, GIS and survey grade GPS field data collection; interpretation of legal descriptions, use of COGO and complex curves; and high-level digital cartography skills are also used in the creation of map layouts and related exhibits, reports and spatial data and applications for both the public and private sectors, including all City Departments. A successful GIS Analyst will be detail oriented, have strong problem-solving skills, and possess the abilities to ensure that projects are completed on time. Since many projects require a team approach to solving problems, the person must be able to work well with others. The Analyst works under general supervision by the GIS Coordinator and indirectly by the City Engineer/Public Works Director.
• Starting pay is $40,968.00, commensurate with experience and level of duties
• Opportunity for annual increases; current eligible employees up to 5% more for 2020
• Excellent growth opportunities for fully engaged employees
• Up to 100% of employee only coverage is available
• Option for three plans to fit your needs
• $0 deductible available for a nominal monthly cost
• HSA plan where nearly $100 monthly is deposited to your account
• 2/3 of dependent coverage paid by the Employer
• 100% of employee coverage paid by the Employer
• $1,500 annual benefit toward basic and major services
• No cost oral exams (twice yearly)
• Dependent coverage available
Paid Time Off Work
• Vacation - begin with 80 hours accrued vacation a year
• Sick Leave – 96 hours accrued sick leave a year
• Up to 24 hours Community Involvement leave each year, as approved
• 12 paid holidays a year
• Pension plan through Missouri Local Government Retirement System (LAGERS)
• Vesting in only five years
• Employer contributes 14% of annual wages to LAGERS on employee’s behalf
• Monthly payment from LAGERS upon retirement for life
• Two 457(b) retirement plans to choose from for additional retirement income
• Life and AD&D insurance paid by the Employer
• Vision coverage; supplemental insurance (disability, cancer, accident, etc.) available
• No cost employee membership to CoxHealth Fitness Center at the Branson RecPlex
• No cost admission for employees and their families to the Branson AquaPlex
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Requires a regular and consistent physical presence at City Hall in Branson, Missouri, and other locations in and around the City; the duties include the following:
- Behaves in a manner that promotes a productive, healthy, safe and positive work environment by:
- Depicting trustworthiness through integrity, truthfulness, consistency and honesty, and while protecting confidential information as necessary;
- Creating and maintaining positive relationships at all levels by treating others with courtesy, respect and in a conflict-free professional manner;
- Taking into consideration the effects on others, on costs, and on intended outcomes of decisions and actions taken;
- Upholding the public trust by being safe, enforcing safety, and working promptly, diligently and with a focus on quality;
- Showing impartiality and equity toward others, and not using job responsibilities to provide nor elicit special favors, and by not making promises that conflict with job duties and responsibilities; and
- Adhering to all policies, laws and regulations as applicable to the role and to being a citizen.
- Follows the safe, ethical and legal directives of supervisor(s).
- Creates Internet webmap applications customized with JSON, GeoJSON, HTML5 or Java.
- Develops and maintains online GIS related content, such as ArcGIS Online based applications utilizing ArcGIS Server based feature services, Collector, Survey123, Workforce applications, and webhook utilization.
- Utilizes a variety of geoprocessing tools and extensions, automates geoprocessing tasks with Model Builder, ArcPy, and Python.
- Creates spatial data using COGO including complex curves, legal descriptions, plats, surveys, and as-built plan interpretation.
- Create and maintains planimetric data using as-built plans, aerial photo interpretation, and CAD drawings.
- Processes, classifies and derives spatial data products from LiDAR data.
- Creates and maintains 3D spatial data and visualization applications.
- Creates hard-copy and digital maps with advanced cartographic techniques, including layout design, proper symbology use, proper use of scale, automated label engines, dynamic map sheets, and map books.
- Converts, imports, and exports a variety of spatial and tabular datatypes, and creates automated conversion processes.
- Utilizes topological and geometric network editing.
- Develops and prepares maps, reports, graphs, and digital data for a variety of City Departments, other government agencies, citizens, and public sector entities.
- Conducts field data collection operations, including operating GIS-grade and survey-grade GPS equipment, collection, processing, editing, and reporting data and maintenance of equipment.
- Maintains the GIS system by creating, digitizing, importing, editing, and entering spatial and attribute data and creating metadata.
- Digitizes, copies, scans and plots maps, plans, photos, charts, and similar products and makes routine computations and analysis.
- Interprets and maps, as well as creates legal descriptions, including complex curves and multiple bearing and distance types for verifications and exhibit production of land-based features including property parcels, easements, subdivisions, etc.
- Identifies and maps topographic features, construction sites, existing structures, rights-of-way, above and below ground utility features, transportation related features, and other relevant geographic data sets.
- Reads, interprets, converts, and implements into the GIS and enterprise geodatabase: construction plans, plats, maps, hard-copy and digital drawing and legal descriptions.
- Conducts traffic studies such as manual traffic counts, general vehicle counts, and performs analysis and creates maps layouts and reports from the collected traffic information.
- Utilizes various computer software platforms and applications as needed to maintain and compile data and reports.
- Prepares customer requests while providing exemplary customer service to internal and external customers with professionalism, respect, and pride.
- Execution of special projects and other duties as assigned by supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
*Any combination of education, training, and experience providing the following knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Knowledge of ArcGIS products and/or ESRI suite, particularly ArcMap 10x, ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Server.
- Knowledge of database principles; including Arc Server environment, best practices relating to geodatabase editing and analysis.
- Skill in creating and maintaining custom, Internet webmap applications, utilizing custom scripting and programming.
- Skill in creating and maintaining ArcGIS Online based applications utilizing ArcGIS Server based feature services, Collector, Survey123, Workforce applications, and webhook utilization.
- Skill in creating and maintaining planimetric data using as-built plans, aerial photo interpretation, and CAD drawings.
- Skill in processing, classifying, and deriving spatial datasets from LiDAR data.
- Skill in working with enterprise geodatabases with relationship classes and geometric networks.
- Knowledge of creating 3D spatial data and 3D applications for visualization and analysis.
- Knowledge of geoprocessing tools available in both ArcMap 10x and ArcGIS Pro
- Skill in creating Model Builder applications for geoprocessing and other automated processes.
- Skill in using Python and ArcPy for customization and automation.
- Skill in reading, interpreting, mapping, and writing legal descriptions in various bearing and distance types, including complex curves.
- Knowledge of Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) software.
- Skill in importing and exporting a variety of data types, including CAD data to and from the ArcGIS suite of software.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of mapping, coordinate systems, projections, scale, and metadata.
- Skill in cartography, map production, and other representations of spatial data including webmap applications, and static digital maps, utilizing proper symbology and labeling techniques.
- Skill in computer use including but not limited to ArcGIS suite software, Microsoft Office, and supporting common software programs.
- Knowledge of a variety of geographic and spatial features as related to municipal government, including but not limited to standardized 911 addressing, property parcel data, transportation features, utility features, zoning, administrative and special tax boundaries, crime/accident incident data, emergency response, and flood zones.
- Ability to read, review, and accurately interpret construction documents, surveys, survey data, site plans, and plats of varying complexity, and relate said plans to a digital environment such as digitizing or remediating errors in existing data.
- Skill in planning, programming, data collection, and data processing using GIS mapping-grade and/or survey-grade GPS software and equipment.
- Knowledge of traffic volume and speed collection equipment.
- Knowledge of Census data, demographics and use in GIS projects.
- Knowledge of floodplain mapping, data, and its interpretation and use.
- Ability to manage files and data sets safely and efficiently for cataloging and back up purposes.
- Ability to prepare charts, layouts, forms, map books, memoranda, and reports.
- Ability to follow direction(s), instruction(s), safety practices, and standard operating procedures in performing assigned tasks.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, employees of private organizations and the general public.
- Ability to follow oral and written direction and to communicate effectively in English.
- Ability to conduct duties with integrity, accountability, pride, professionalism, and foster teamwork.
- Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly to build and maintain the public trust.
- Ability to operate personal computer, telephone, printer, plotter, large format scanner, copier, and motor vehicle.
The physical demands and working environment, which follow, is representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Hearing, to distinguish various mechanical sounds is essential.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee must have full body mobility, and is frequently required to stand for extended periods of time, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk and hear. Requires use of and strength in both upper and lower body to assist, stabilize, and push or pull. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Requires repeated use of hand and power tools, including lifting, pushing, pulling, and twisting while holding the tools. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Use of hand, pneumatic or electrical tools of light to heavy weights will be common.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is indoors with heating and cooling regulated in a general office environment and exposed to outside weather conditions while on field data collection projects. Field data collection can involve a variety of terrain, exposure to physical conditions and materials, and unpleasant atmospheric conditions. The noise level while in the indoors work environment is usually low, but while outdoors the noise level can be loud.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, AND TRAINING
- A High school diploma or a General Education Diploma (GED) equivalency is required.
- Graduation from a college or university regionally accredited through the U.S. Department of Education with a bachelor’s degree in Cartography, GIS/Spatial Science, Geography, Planning, Computer Science, or related field is required.
- Directly related full-time employment experience of five years or more working with GIS may be substituted for the degree requirement, with the number of years and the context of the experience interpreted solely by the Director of Public Works/Engineering.
- Directly related full-time employment experience with GIS, in addition to meeting the educational degree requirements, is required
- Experience with ArcGISPro Software required.
- Experience with Web Map Builder or Development of Internet Mapping Applications is required.
- Experience with Legal Description Interpretation is preferred.
- GISP Certification is preferred.
- National Career Readiness Certificate preferred.
- A valid Missouri driver’s license, and the ability to be insured under the City’s insurance coverage when operating a City vehicle is required.
- Additional licenses or certifications may be required for this position.
- Must possess a high degree of integrity, strong work ethic and ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be able to pass a background investigation and drug and alcohol screenings.
- Must be able to work successfully with people from various departments to ensure satisfaction.
- Must be professional and respectful at all times with all fellow employees.