Team Leader – Pastoralism and Fragile States in Africa
Team Leader - Pastoralism and Fragile States in Africa
Summary of position
CowaterSogema is seeking a Team Leader to manage an anticipated project working on agriculture and pastoralism in Africa and the Middle East.
The Team Leader will play a key role at CowaterSogema, leading a multi-national program with a budget of approximately US$30M. To that end, we are seeking a candidate with experience in managing large international programs, adept at troubleshooting, and an effective financial manager and communicator. The Team Leader will be backed by a strong technical team whom they will manage, as well as supported by the CowaterSogema management team and HQ staff.
The contract is expected to be full time for up to five years. Location preferably at our CowaterSogema office in London, UK or in Africa, subject to the terms of the project.
Education and minimum experience:
- Advanced Degree with a minimum of 10 years of experience in a field relevant to the assignment.
- Demonstrable experience as a Team Leader on projects of a similar scale and scope, preferably for DFID.
- Proven leader of multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural teams. Experience of managing teams in multiple locations would be an advantage.
- Fluent and effective written and spoken English. Working knowledge of French would be an additional advantage.
- Proven track record on complex research programmes, preferably in at least three of the following focus areas: pastoralism, climate smart agriculture, climate resilience, land tenure, wildlife-livestock-human interface and conflict issues, livestock value chains, food safety.
- Concrete experience in as many of the following areas as possible:
- Providing advisory services to farmers and livestock producers on production issues (e.g. cultivation, fertilization, harvesting, animal care)
- Conducting research or implementing new technology/practices
- Analyzing agricultural data and preparing research reports
- Liaising with researchers, educators, government departments, and private operators
- Promoting mutual understanding and cooperation between government regulatory agencies and the agriculture community
- Mobilizing funds for the development and implementation of research
- Experience working in selected regions/countries, including fragile and conflict affected states in Africa and/or the Middle East.
- Experience in knowledge management, the provision of technical support, and innovation.
- Experience leveraging research to influence policy makers and in the provision of high-quality advice to DFID country offices, partner governments, coordination bodies, regional bodies and other stakeholders.
- Ability to connect, build trust and liaise with diverse stakeholders, including donors, multilateral agencies, governments, regional institutions and private sector actors.
- Excellence in programme management, with hands-on experience in the application of Value for Money (VfM) approaches.
With more than 34 years’ experience, CowaterSogema International is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development and has managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017 and 2018. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, CowaterSogema also has corporate offices in Montreal, Quebec, Paris, France, and Pretoria, South Africa, in addition to project offices in a wide variety of other locations across Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with CowaterSogema.