The National Older Worker Career Center, a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit based in Arlington, Virginia, is seeking a highly skilled non-exempt part-time (25 hours per week) Accounting Clerk supporting the Finance and Accounting Team. We were rated the #1 Best Nonprofit to Work For in 2014, 2015, and 2019 by The Nonprofit Times. Founded in 1997, NOWCC provides employment to over 850+ experienced workers in offices across the country in the Environmental Protection Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Services, Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management.
The Accounting Clerk is responsible for supporting the day-to-day functions and activities of the Finance & Accounting Department. The Accounting Clerk takes direction from the Accounts Payable Specialist and Director of Accounting in supporting daily transactional operations of the full Accounts Payable life cycle and assisting with other general accounting and office duties. This position works in partnership and joint accountability with other team members to achieve NOWCC's mission, goals, and core values of teamwork, customer service commitment and professional competency.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review incoming invoices, travel reimbursements/advance reports for validity, compliance with Program regulations and policy, and accuracy in computations.
- Ensure proper approvals are obtained for all invoices before entering them into the accounting system (MIP).
- Enter invoices into accounting system in a timely manner, marking invoices as paid when the actual check or direct deposit is processed.
- Determine proper general ledger coding and cost allocation based on the nature of the invoice.
- Research missing routine invoices to ensure the completeness of accounts payable.
- Support month-end close, ensuring that all invoices and travel reimbursements are timely entered.
- Reconcile and process American Express Corporate transactions at least weekly to ensure all transactions are supported by receipts and properly approved.
- Analyze, investigate and correct A/P entries as needed.
- Ensure proper organization of all supporting documents.
- Assist Accounts Payable Specialist with timely disbursement of funds in accordance with NOWCC and grant policy.
- Accurately enter required data into the accounting system (MIP) to allow payments to be processed in a timely manner that also coincides with the applicable drawdown schedule.
- Support initiating disbursements via ACH by obtaining electronic banking information whenever possible.
- Ensure paper checks receive appropriate signature in accordance with NOWCC policy and are timely mailed with proper remittance enclosed.
- Timely and accurately file voucher packages along with a copy of the check or ACH disbursement in the appropriate vendor file once disbursements are made.
- Responsible pulling and filing voucher packages as requested to support the monthly accounting close, audits and general inquiry by accounting staff.
- Assist with reception desk duties such as greeting visitors and delivery persons to NOWCC.
- Assist with mail pick-up mail and distribution to NOWCC Staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- NOWCC reserves the right to make changes to the position description at any time. The position is not eligible for telework or flex time schedules.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Must have a high school diploma or equivalency along with an Associate Degree in Accounting or Business Administration, or a closely related field, plus one to two years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Accounts payable and Federal grants experience are highly preferred.
The following attributes are essential:
- Ability to communicate effectively in person, by phone, and by email with individuals of all levels including program participants, vendors, and NOWCC staff.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications including Excel.
- Ability to handle a diversity of assignments and to work well under pressure.
- Good problem solving, analytical, attention to detail, and organizational skills.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to work thoroughly and accurately with figures and the application of policies.
Physical requirements include the dexterity to reach, stand, climb, move, finger keyboards, lift light loads, and the ability to also function in a stationary position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
NOWCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to a work environment free from discrimination and harassment in any form. It is NOWCC’s policy to comply with all applicable laws that provide equal opportunity in employment for all persons and to prohibit unlawful discrimination in employment.
|TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE SUPPORT|
AA Degree in Conservation OR Minimum of 10 year(s) of experience in GIS analysis
- Valid Drivers License required.
- Experience required with Windows, Fax, Copying Machine, MS Word, MS Excel
- GIS proficiency
This positions will assist the state office staff with GIS analysis and development of GIS products.
- GIS data analysis 34%
- Geospatial data entry 33%
- Aerial photo slide scanning and wetland determination tool assistance 33%
- Health and Safety Considerations: Enrollee must ensure safety and health precautions are adhered to including reporting safety hazards, wearing seat belts in automobiles, taking proper and appropriate precautions on farm and construction sites.